Scientist – RNA Therapeutics Discovery
Type: Full Time
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Who we are:
miRecule, Inc. is a rapidly growing biotechnology start-up focused on the development of RNA therapeutics to treat a variety of diseases. miRecule’s DREAmiRTM genomics-based discovery platform is designed to create best-in-class RNA therapies, identifying critical RNA targets for drug development in specific subsets of patients that would benefit from treatment. We then create proprietary chemically modified RNA therapeutics with improved pharmacology, while utilizing antibodies for targeted delivery to the diseased tissue.
Scientist – RNA Therapeutics Development:
This is a lab-based research role focused on performing of mechanism of action and pharmacology studies on the lead RNA therapy for our Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy (FSHD) program. You will report to the VP of Discovery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning and execution of in vitro cell culture assays, including cellular toxicity, viability assays, immunoassays, and cell-based screening as well as processing and analyses of tissue samples.
- Generation of clear oral and written communications presenting analysis of experimental data, interpretation of results, and recommendation of next steps.
- Detailed recording of experimental results in company electronic lab notebook (ELN)
- Manage relationships with external service providers
- Collaborate cross-functionally as needed across the miRecule business, operations, and scientific teams.
Education and Experience:
- PhD (or equivalent degree) in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neurobiology, pharmaceutical sciences, or related disciplines and 0 – 2 years of industry or post-doctoral work OR Master’s degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neurobiology, pharmaceutical sciences, or related disciplines and 5+ years of relevant experience
Education and Experience:
- PhD (or equivalent degree) in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neurobiology, pharmaceutical sciences, or related disciplines and 0 – 2 years of industry or post-doctoral work
Or Master’s degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neurobiology, pharmaceutical sciences, or related disciplines and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Aseptic cell culture skill and expertise in culturing of various primary cells and/or cell lines
- Delivery of nucleic acids to in vitro and in vivo models
- Molecular biology techniques to evaluate on-target and off-target activity of RNA related compounds
- Handling and processing of tissues including skeletal muscles
- Affinity to learn about novel technologies and willingness to contribute to the development
- Ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Direct experience with evaluating the PK and efficacy of RNA therapeutics including molecular and protein bioanalytic across multiple tissues (biodistribution) to support in vivo POC or toxicology studies.
- Fundamental understanding of chemical modifications utilized in oligonucleotide therapies and their impact on potency and toxicity
- Experience in presenting data at internal and external meetings with our external partners and CROs to execute on the discovery and development of our lead therapeutic product.
- Industry experience with knowledge on nucleic acid therapeutics drug development process.
At miRecule, we have strived to cultivate a mission-centered culture, enabling the creation of high-quality RNA therapies that can truly change the lives of patients. miRecule employees live the tenets of scientific rigor, teamwork, and mutual respect, allowing us to grow cohesively as a team and help each other to learn and succeed in our pursuit of this important mission. We seek individuals to join our team who resonate with this philosophy both professionally and personally.
Direct Applicants Only – No Agencies Please
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and CV to Kevin Kim, VP of Discovery (kkim@miRecule.com)